If you want your denim to appear crisp and clean, starching it is a simple and efficient solution. Starching jeans is another way to keep them from creasing, staining, and fading. Starching denim may also improve its longevity and fit. The question is, how do you starch jeans at home? Learn the simple steps to starching your jeans at home right here.
What You Need to Starch Jeans at Home
To starch jeans at home, you will need the following items:
- A pair of jeans (preferably clean and dry)
- A spray bottle
- Liquid starch (you can buy it at the grocery store or make your own)
- An iron and ironing board
Making Your Own Liquid Starch
If you don’t have liquid starch, you can make your own with some water and cornstarch. Here’s how:
- In a small saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup of cornstarch and 1/2 cup of cold water until smooth.
- Slowly pour the cornstarch mixture into the boiling water, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the mixture is thick and clear.
- Let the liquid starch cool completely before using.
How to Starch Jeans at Home: A Step-by-Step Guide
Now that you have everything you need, here’s how to starch jeans at home:
- Lay your jeans flat on the ironing board and smooth out any wrinkles.
- Spray the liquid starch evenly over the entire surface of the jeans, front and back. Don’t soak them too much, just enough to dampen them.
- Let the jeans dry for about 10 minutes, or until slightly damp.
- Iron the jeans on high heat, starting from the waistband and working your way down to the hem. Press firmly and move the iron quickly to avoid scorching. Flip the jeans over and repeat on the other side.
- Hang the jeans to dry completely before wearing or storing them.
Tips and Tricks for Starching Jeans at Home
Here are some tips and tricks to help you starch jeans at home like a pro:
- If you want a stiffer and more rigid look, you can spray more liquid starch on the jeans or repeat the process twice.
- If you want a softer and more flexible look, you can dilute the liquid starch with more water or use less of it on the jeans.
- If you want to avoid creases and folds on the jeans, you can hang them on a hanger or lay them flat on a towel instead of folding them.
- If you want to remove the starch from the jeans, you can wash them in warm water with detergent and vinegar. Vinegar helps break down the starch and restore the natural softness of the denim.
Starching jeans at home is a great way to give your denim a fresh and polished look. It can also help protect your jeans from wear and tear and make them fit better. All you need is some liquid starch, a spray bottle, an iron, and an ironing board. Follow our step-by-step guide and tips and tricks to starch jeans at home like a pro. You’ll be amazed by how good your jeans look and feel!