A shiny new Woolworths now anchors the Calwell Town Centre, bringing convenience and quality to this Canberra suburb. With spacious aisles, bright signage and special extras like an on-demand sushi station, it far surpasses the modest previous grocery option here.
As both a Calwell local and Woolies aficionado, I’m delighted with this new full-service store. Read on for photos and impressions from opening week, plus everything residents need to know about Woolworths Calwell!
Stepping inside Woolies Calwell feels almost like entering a supermarket at the big Westfield shopping centres. That’s how sleek, polished and inviting the setup is. Some standout features include:
- Huge fresh produce section showcasing fruits, vegetables, herbs and more. The ripe avocados and discount mushroom crates beckon!
- An on-demand sushi station with rotating fresh options prepared while you shop.
- Homey in-store café serving barista coffees, fresh sandwiches and sweet treats to enjoy on premises or takeaway.
- Self-checkout registers for quick trips, though staffed registers see plenty of traffic too.
- Generous parking with places for trolleys right by the entrance.
Beyond the grocery fundamentals, the tidy aisles are also packed with everyday items like pharmacy essentials, quality meat and deli bites, frozen foods, and household supplies.
Supporting the Local Calwell Economy
While convenient for shoppers, the Calwell Woolies brings positives for the whole community too. Namely: jobs and support for nearby businesses!
The store has brought approximately 150 new jobs to the area. And as an anchor tenant of Calwell Shopping Centre, Woolies provides foot traffic to support other retailers in the complex like the Post Office, cafes and takeaways.
In the coming months I hope to see the shopping centre infrastructure further enhanced around Woolies. Updates like seating, play areas for kids and community noticeboards could make the whole complex even more of a suburban hub.
For now though, Woolies delivers much-needed grocery access in walkable distance for Calwell residents. Combined with the solid transport links here, it makes living comfortably without a car quite realistic.
Getting There: Transport Options to Calwell Woolworths
The Woolworths’ central location makes it readily accessible for locals via:
- Walking: Most streets within a 1km radius can easily walk, perhaps combining shopping with exercise.
- Biking: Plentiful bike racks provide free lockup for cyclists.
- Bus: Multiple bus routes include stops just metres from Woolworths including Routes 743, 744 & 746.
- Driving: The carpark easily accommodates vehicles of all sizes.
With great infrastructure links across transport modes, Woolies cements itself as a staple in everyday life for Calwell locals.
Top Tips for Shopping at Woolies Calwell
As a longtime Woolies shopper, I wanted to share inside tips for getting the most of the Calwell location:
- Look out for manager’s specials – discounted meats, ripe avocados for smoothies, and more. These rotate frequently as fresh deals come in.
- The ValleyGrown emblem marks fresh produce from Victorian and Riverland growers. It’s perfect for seasonal eating on a budget!
- Download the Woolies app for tailoring weekly specials, exclusive app coupons, and scanning product barcodes to check prices on the go.
- Chat to the butchers and fishmongers for tailoring cuts, getting recipe ideas or finding out when sought-after items will be in stock.
- Don’t forget to bring reusable bags! Keep the car stocked and ready for spur-of-the-moment shops.
- Grab a teeny tiny avocado (or large ones) from the fresh produce self-service section, avoiding pre-packed bags.
Whether you’re a bargain hunter or want farm-fresh veggies picked at their seasonal peak, the friendly folk at Woolies Calwell can hook you up.
One Happy Local: My Impressions So Far
As both a Calwell resident and long-time Woolies shopper elsewhere, I’m thrilled with the new local store. The convenient location, bright atmosphere, and fantastic product range tick all the boxes.
Beyond groceries, it’s uplifting seeing investment in suburban infrastructure. The Woolies and adjoining carpark create a real town centre vibe in Calwell – a boon for community spirit!
In coming months I’m keen to see how the shopping precinct develops around the Woolworths anchor. More public amenities and local business partnerships could make this a true community hub.
For now though, Woolies Calwell already exceeds expectations. When it’s 8pm and you realise you forgot an ingredient for dinner, you’ll appreciate having this local lifesaver! It takes everyday conveniences like a dash of milk or loaf of bread from tedious errands to simple solutions.
Have You Checked Out Woolies Calwell Yet?
If you’re a fellow Calwell local, I’d love to hear your first impressions of our new Woolworths in the comments below! What surprised you or have you enjoyed most?
And to anyone else in Canberra, I strongly recommend the trip out to explore it. The fresh Valentine apricots are to-die-for right now!